'Auto Adjust' function in PL5?

What we have are sets of presets.
One thing i use is temporaly presets.
Take one image of the set adjust the 80% equal and create a partial preset.
Use this as first adjustment.

You can create as many as your personal view on things as you like.

There are “automated adjustment by looking at the image” but not much.
The blue wants are all active in my personal intake preset but not all tools are set as active. This way i can check result in one click by activating the tool.

The LR look doesn’t excist in DxOPL. Yes the lens module plus your chosen intake preset.

Biggest problem is how to match your idea with the automated corrections?

• crop horizon and (if you have viewpoint Perspective) can be automated and set active in preset.
  • auto centre midweighted exposure correction with some smartlighting, check
  • auto lenscorrection and sharpening by microcontrast check.
  • auto colorrendering en color saturation control, check.

So what would you want to have besides that?
@rrblint 's post reminds me at the movie weird science… Where is your print button? (i ask for a friend):grin::innocent:

Not at all. What I am saying is that it is possible to create images with a digital camera that need little or no adjustments. Sometimes this happens by chance, other times it is something that we can choose to do.

Unfortunately, there are some folks who take the attitude that they can shoot anything at any setting and let the magic of post-processing take care of their mistakes.

Magic functionality usually relies on AI but remember that AI is, first and foremost, artificial, but not necessarily intelligent. It relies on an engineer somewhere deciding on what they think is best for your images. Sometimes that may coincide with your ideas but, often, not.

Folks who rely on AI lose their own creativity in thinking that, because the software recommends something, it must be good. I recently read an article on the use of AI in photographic post-processing and one thing that was said was that a lot of it is geared towards making images “commercially” acceptable, but not necessarily aesthetically acceptable.

I suppose, if you are just reeling off thousands of images in the hope that some of them are “OK”, that a “quick-fix” tool might appeal. But I have never seen PhotoLab as such a tool. To me, it is a sophisticated tool that allows me to turn my RAW captures into stunning images. Yes, it is a RAW processor but it is also so much more. The only time I use other image software is to stitch panoramics or blend stacks.

I have a good friend who is a press photographer. His workflow is somewhat simpler. He shoots in JPEG, sends the files to the picture editor, who then does anything required to the one image chosen for the journal. If that is someone’s workflow, I see absolutely no need for PhotoLab. What makes that possible is that he has learnt how to take the best possible pictures without the need to resort to post-processing.

Different strokes for different folks. There is already plenty of quick-fix software out there - some of which is free. Does PhotoLab really have to join them?

And, as others have said, it is not rocket science to set up your own presets that do what you want in bulk. Even the automatisms that are available can be applied. I see no need for yet another button.

1 Like

@BlackrazorNZ, if you had posted this as a feature request, we’d have a chance to vote - and see if the feature would grab significant numbers of fans… You can still create the FR here:

1 Like

Coming in the next update! Stay tuned. :grin: :rofl:

2 Likes