Author & Copyright info no longer displayed after PL 3.3 update

Hi,
I noticed something strange after updating to PhotoLab 3.3 (on Windows): for all pictures (CR3 format) I added after that PL update, the values in the Author and Copyright fields (which I add using IMatch) are no longer displayed in PhotoLab, instead it shows “Author” and “Author & Year” as values, respectively:

Those same pictures definitely still contain the correct values: they show in Lightroom, IMatch, as well as when I run them through ExifTool, so it looks like a PL issue.

I also tried deleting the PL database (multiple times), but still get the same result… And strangely, it only affects pictures that I added after the PL 3.3 update; all previous pictures still show the correct values - which were added in the exact same fashion, using IMatch, so no discrepancy there.

It’s not a big issue, as the correct values are still present in the files (and in the xmp sidecars), but somewhat annoying - did anyone else observe something similar?

Hello @philou,

Could you, please, provide me with some samples where the data displayed and not displayed (image+sidecar and .xmp if any)? Please, upload them on upload.dxo.com and let me know when ready.

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana,

actually I have to amend my earlier statement: the issue affects all CR3 images I took with my EOS R, even those added before the latest PL update, but not the CR2 images I took with my previous camera, so it looks like this is a new issue related to the CR3 format as I am positive that the information was correctly displayed for CR3 files before the 3.3 update.

I’ve just uploaded one of the affected images with its .dop and .xmp sidecars to the portal, using my forum name as ticket number.

Thank you for looking into it :slight_smile:
Regards,
Philou

Thank you!

I’ve got the image and we’ll do the investigation.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @philou,

Well, if I remove the sidecar I see your Author & Copyright correctly. From the sidecar I see you apply this custom preset “Phil RAW Import.preset”, could you, please also provide it to me?

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana,
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll share the preset when I get home tonight.
Honestly I wasn’t aware that presets could also modify the metadata fields of a picture… :hushed:
Regards,
Philou

1 Like

Hi Svetlana,

I uploaded the custom preset used on the image I had shared earlier via the portal for you to have a look if there’s any relation to the issue with the corruption of those two metadata fields.

As a side note, I now noticed that these incorrect values are actually included in any exported files, replacing the correct values still present in the raw and xmp sidecar, which is making this a bigger issue than just a display bug in PhotoLab… :worried:

Kind regards,
Philou

Hello @philou,

So my guess was correct - the reason is exactly your custom preset “Phil RAW Import.preset”:

As you can see PhotoLab correctly displays your .xmp metadata until I apply your preset.

So to fix it you can either remove the Author and Copyright values from your preset via Preset Editor (in this case the one from .xmp will be displayed) or update that fields with the desired value.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana,
Thanks a lot for your feedback, I didn’t expect that! :sweat_smile:
I’ll try to modify the preset tonight so as to not include those fields and will confirm if it fixes the issue.
Thanks again for your support and kind regards,
Philou

1 Like

Good morning Svetlana,

just to confirm that I modified the preset to exclude those fields, which did indeed fix the issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance and sorry for raising this as an issue when actually it was just me needing some education on how to build custom presets… :sweat_smile:

Kind regards,
Philou

Hello @philou,

I’m very glad to hear that I could help you to solve your problem :slight_smile:

And, please, do not hesitate next time when you need help. We have a very good community here and if not me then the users will always help.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

5 Likes