Artifacts using clearview plus on local adjustments

Peter and Mark,
I gave it a new try with a few photos. While it’s true that some manual corrections to auto masks are possible, it’s still extremely uncomfortable to me that there’s no way to see what finally will get picked - there’s only the workaround to apply an extreme adjustment and then wait to see (and be surprised…) what it will inadvertently pick this time (and what it won’t pick even if it was definitely selected…). These iterations take quite long, since after each correction you need seconds before the changes affect the display on screen.

I still think that the only “correct” way to implement this is to display the resulting PICK mask while drawing (and allowing for manually ADD as well). This way, you could easily correct it before applying adjustments.

If that was finally corrected, I would surely use auto mask much more frequently.

Tilmann

True, i agree.

i did a proposal to have no “masking blue” on area’s which are touched by the outer ring of automask and not been selected as part of the object/area you originally started on only masking blue on parts which are “selected by the automated selection algorithm” and the inner circle of the brush it self.
(i think the algorithm is calculation the area to pick when you stop brushing so just stop painting and you should see the selected area turning blue)

Until then i use the “desaturate methode” al the time to “see” the mask influence in all masktools and HSL. Works al the time and by using ALT for eraser i can quickly correct and redo.

This way you see immediately the selected area of influence which also can be inverted without further correction due the “outercircle selection mask” which also is inverted and left out the inverted mask as influence area. so you get a extra non selected area which you must rebrush to correct.

Maybe this can be fixed to use the same Ctrl+m shortkey for the U-point masks?

Not sure why you are struggling so much more applying automask than I am. As I indicated It misses a spot only occasionally but once I notice it, it takes only a couple of seconds to fix. The key to applying it is to make sure the darker central area of tool doesn’t extend over the boundary of the area you want masked. I’m sure you know that. Once I became comfortable using the tool two years ago in PL1, I’ve rarely been disappointed with it. Perhaps the mask could be implemented better, but I use it all the time with great success.

Mark

Eventually there are some reasons:

• I want to use it in situations where the required mask is rather complex;
  • I know how comfortable the function could be.

I keep referencing the Anthropics Smart Photo Editor which handles automatic masking really good.

Tilmann

I’d rather like seeing the generated mask while drawing.

Even if that would limit the drawing speed to some extent. However, I think that changing the algorithm to just “look” at the currently drawn area and generating a mask that is constant after that, would probably even faster than the current method (where after each change of the mask it takes many seconds to recalculate the complete mask).

Just have a look at the Smart Photo Editor…

Tilmann

Hello guys,

Can we stop the discussion here? We do know that Auto Brush mask needs to be improved and moreover we have a task for it. So let us work on it and then, when released, we will be waiting for your feedback.

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!
Eager to see improvements in upcoming versions…

Tilmann

1 Like

Will do. :slightly_smiling_face:
I will wait in peace now knowing it’s gonna be solved. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great. Thanks Svetlana.

Mark

1 Like

That was two years ago - any news meanwhile?

1 Like

Good morning!

Well, it’s not an easy task and it’s not done yet. But I will try to push it.

Regards,
Svetlana G.