Any reason I should Not use DeepPrime every time?

If you already work with a denoised RAW in Luminar, what will the Luminar denoiser do? Probably tackle the details DeepPrime was preserving and treat them as noise? At best, Luminar’s denoiser doesn’t do anything (so, why use it additionally?), but I’m afraid, it will harm the output.

What can you lose if you try for yourself?

I use PL5 and Lumina (AI and now the new Neo), how much I do in each application obviously depends on what I am working on.
But generally, Deep Prime and profile based changes come first in DxO, and maybe obvious crops any technical changes such as geometry. All the things DxO simply does better than any other product I have found.

After that which ever app feels right for what I want to next.
I export from DxO as DNG (if I am going to use Luminar Neo) or TIFF (Luminar AI).

I have found the Luminar denoise does nothing after deep prime has been run - maybe just softens the image a little, not usually a good thing.

Other than the time involved, I have not found a downside to putting everything through Deep Prime, even low ISO images. But I am open to ideas and opinions on that!
Bottom line is Deep Prime has saved me a fortune in expensive lenses. It really is an ISO game changer.
This is a DxO forum so I won’t go into why I use Luminar, other than to say it appeals to my lazy side!

Running a different noise reduction program after DeepPRIME will not improve anything and will likely do more harm than good as you’ve discovered.

Mark

3 Likes