Any news on the next version (5) of photolab?

:roll_eyes: Forgot that you’re the only intelligent being around here. Who doesn’t clutter the forum with all his moaning about how bad Apple treats him… :joy:

1 Like

Do a search in your internet browser with “Photolab 5”

Hmm… looks like there’s an update coming to spot correction? Or maybe a blue-portrait filter? Or maybe you can brush on colors? If it’s ‘lip detection’ I hope the final version does a better job than we see here! :sunglasses:

So do we think it’s just news about PL5 today or an actual release of PL5 ?

I think there is never info before an release of PL.
So if something happens today it will be the release of PL5

I think they will release it within minutes or hours, look on the startpage of DXO:

Usually, the outputs are made at 15:00 ( 3.00pm CEST )

As they hinted on facebook about news regarding Fuji RAF support, I have everything crossed for this

This one I saw also on sunday or monday, and also the webinar site was down

Being a developer myself I’d agree to Joanna and do not understand why to blame DXO instead of Apple potentially making all this yearly mess. If a new operating system is introducing architectural changes which forces other software companies into severe investments, then there’s something wrong. @uncoy: Even I tried almost all available development tools from Photoshop, CaptureOne, Capture NX-D, even DPP and and some free tools either and all drove me nuts as I’m a skilled photographer with 4+ decades experience but non pro so am not using these tools daily. Handling and UI is important to me as well as good results. And the DXO guys very well know what photographers need. Alex, you know all this, you will not shift, never. I’m sure. If your rant here is meant to be motivation to DXO please allow me to suggest you to change your apporach :wink:

3 Likes

Dxo sponsors Avatar The Return!
This is shot in the makeup studio.
:wink:

lets see how many points you and others get guessing the new features and highlights of V5.
granted after release ofcoarse… :sweat_smile:

Apple Raw, Apple M1 Universal??

Meanwhile, a new “cool” homepage has been activated for DPL5.
Go see it here.

My be the biggest change for most of us, struggling to see any thing of use in 5 I regret.

Have a look at Robin Whalley’s review of v5 of PhotoLab

You are joking🙈

It seems to me that Apple struggles to make the best software they can, and updates are always free. I used to worry about updates - no more. When Apples says there is an update, I install it - on all my devices.

I would think that DxO when releasing a new product, would concentrate on the latest one or two releases of OS software.

I do have some old Apple computers, that still work, but can’t be updated to their latest macOS, and I accept that. For me, PL5 will go on my Mac Mini desktop and my MacBook Pro, and I’ll move my copies of PL4 to my older computers that I believe are on PL3.

When companies update, there are always some complaints, as a lot of people don’t want to update. I guess it’s like the newest Nikon Z lenses, that won’t work on the Nikon F mount, and as far as I know, there are no adapters.

The problem in all this is when people have old computers, that can’t be updated, and new software won’t run on the ancient macOS on those computers. And for me, I guess new software might be coming out that requires Apple’s new chip, and won’t run on Apple Intel chip computers, like my Mac Mini. At some point I guess I’ll need to update, but not until all the software I want/need runs on Apple’s new chip.

I’m just rambling, I guess. I got PL5 installed, and then got it validated, and later tonight I hope to get a chance to use it. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I’m curious - does PL5 run on Windows 11 ?

1 Like

PL 5 does indeed run on Windows 11.

Any news on Photolab 6?

Apple is on a one year cycle releasing half-broken beta crap every year. There is no reason There is absolutely no reason for DxO to enforce Apple’s cycle on its users.

Apple struggles to make the best software they can

The best software they can would mean a two-year cycle on OS updates. The frenetic update release cycle is for marketing reasons, and highly destructive of stability and abusive of users time. Apple is the world’s richest company. Why are you making excuses for their poor work, Mike? Apple simply does not want to invest enough in their programming team to maintain quality (good engineers are expensive and hard to find, it’s easier to hire huge second-rate teams and let quality go to the dogs).

We are the people who support DxO not Apple. It’s a bunch of spoiled developers refusing to work on anything except the latest OS. The main reason DxO can’t support back to OS 10.13 (High Sierra) is not so much the changes to OS X but because it would mean keeping at least one developer’s computer on OS 10.14 to create the build.

Companies who treat themselves better than they treat their customers, often wake up to a bucket of cold water poured on their high opinion of themselves.

I just can’t believe all the tech junkies here making excuses for Apple and DxO. Just have to have the latest…Tim Cook says…

Apple MacBook users have had to put up with four or five years of broken by design butterfly keyboards and portless MacBooks and no MagSafe and the inefficient TouchBar function keys. Apple four or five years later finally had to admit all of those decisions were wrong and destructive to their users. Not to speak of the debacle of the Trash Can Mac Pro of 2013 which overheats and burns out while the Silver Towers of 2009-2012 still run well and can accept inexpensive PCIe cards instead of ludicrously expensive outboard Thunderbolt accessories.

But this is not about Apple. Apple is free to abuse their users as they wish. This is about DxO treating us, their users with disdain, and maintaining the worst OS compatibility of all the major photo software producers.

I hope it’s worth it DxO @StevenL as right now you don’t have my money for PL5, you no longer have my respect and you’ve lost my advocacy. CaptureOne is likely to get my PhotoLab 5 upgrade money very soon and if I like it, they will benefit from my enthusiasm and my advocacy instead of PhotoLab.