Allow copying *selected* corrections

I can’t address Lightroom or Iridient, but in Adobe Camera Raw, images are synchronized. A change to one image affects the enabled settings of all other images as you make the changes. You would normally select the adjustments to apply before you actually apply them, therefore the concept of “adjustments actively in use” makes no sense.

The “laundry list” is pretty easy for me to use as the default items selected (in ACR for CS6, anyway) are almost always the set I want. Occasionally, I need to do something different (like only synchronize the sharpening and noise reductions) and the dialog is structured to make it easy to turn off everything else.

While I’d love to see image synchronization implemented in PL2, I’d be happy if I could do a selective paste. Adding this wouldn’t interfere with anyone’s existing workflows.In the context of pasting, showing just the enabled settings would make sense.

You can easily do it:

• Select a batch of images with different corrections already made
  • Add a new correction
    This last, and only this last, is common to all.

Pascal

2 Likes

Thanks–I didn’t know about this and it sounds super useful.

To match ACR’s synchronization feature, however, I would need the feature you mentioned plus selective paste. My original request still stands.

2 Likes

It is useful. Again I’d suggest working with the tools the software offers you and think less about trying to make PhotoLab into Lightroom.

4 Likes

The feature I asked for is a selective copy/paste. I suggested a work-around using presets. Sigi offered a better work-around using a temporary virtual copy. Piole didn’t offer a work-around, but pointed out a feature in PL2 that goes part way in matching Adobe Camera Raw’s synchronization feature (the missing part is still the selective copy/paste). While not actually addressing my request, Piole did respond to something I mentioned in passing. Both these people offered useful feedback and I appreciate their comments.

If there is a way to perform selective copy/paste (or even if there is an even better work-around), I’d be happy to learn about it. But as far as I can tell, the feature does not exist in PL2, except as clumsy work-arounds. Until I learn otherwise, my request stands—I am not wedded to the Adobe approach, if there is something equivalent or better.

I’m sure that there’s just another post requesting the selective copy for settings.
And i’m also sure it’s a very usefull tools. Using the virtual copy method is a workaround but not the solution.
this is a similar request : “Copy/paste adjustments without Local adjustments

and i think in both case that the solution is to create a kind of “special copy” or “special paste” request popup to select exactly “what do you really want to copy/paste”.

Thanks for pointing this out, but that request is not the same as mine.

I understand that copy/paste without local adjustments is already available fpr PL2 on Macs. If they use the same solution for Windows, they would address the request in the other post but not mine.

I could live with just avoiding local adjustments if cropping were considered a local adjustment. This would still be a poor substitute for what I’m requesting (and cropping is global).

I’d be happy to have the DxO staff close this topic with a comment that they plan to implement my version of the feature.

I had no idea that copy/paste without local adjustments didn’t exist on Windows. Total gamechanger. Windows users really need to be able to copy and paste setting without local adjustments.

As a Mac user who uses this feature, I’d sorely like horizon, perspective and cropping excluded from global copy and paste. I shoot action off a tripod much of the time and the camera is always in motion. I really don’t want cropping or rotation carried over when I’m trying to paste exposure settings. Real nuisance to have to reset them.

Hence I follow my presets system as much as possible where I can exclude perspective and crop type palettes by default.

As far as i thought it does exist DxO V2, only it’s copy all/both and past one or the other:
copy-paste
But with testing:
option one:
copy paste all local and settings. (upoint, “repair bandage” settings.)

copy past local:
bandage repair doesn’t are “local adjustments”

So some improvements are needed.
a

• copy paste all
  • copy paste local adjustments (all which are in that menu)
  • copy paste repair bandage.
    Easiest way is a checkbox list in copy or paste dialoge window before apply.
    In paste dialoge is better because then you can make several versions out of one copy.
    Other way is creating a temperaly “preset” like i earlier spoke of.
    Clone storage 01, save present checked in box settings and local adjustments.

@uncoy i understand you make folders with project depending presets which you can delete or not after use?
Like(example) image 001: develop til some level, create a preset called “base level 01” and then a “highkey 01” and a “low key 01” and use those in that project and maybe use them in others if possible?

How do you manage/ organise those?
(i stil want to make some “low contrast” “High contrast” and 'Low Key" and “High Key” partial presets but most of my images are dealt with one by one, so it’s not a priority. )

The (Partial) Preset system is a nice way to build your own taste of quick repairs. Better then the good old copy paste system when dealing with large amounts of images.

Still the present copy paste feature is limping imo.
Edit: when creating a partial preset you have to create first a full and then discard tools in the blue checkbox line and undo the other things as repair bandage and or local adjustment in the EDIT-mode and save this as you final “personal partitional preset.”
I would have this choise rather at the beginning(before the safe).

Yes, and we all have different needs, thus my request for the “laundry-list” dialog that you seem to dislike. On Adobe Camera Raw, the default is to synchronize everything except cropping (there’s no geometry in my CS6 version, and “horizon” is considered part of cropping), spot removal (which is not considered a local adjustment) and local adjustments. There’s a drop-down to select common subsets and you can define one custom set.

For most uses, the typical response to the synchronize dialog is to hit OK. I’ve occasionally had a need to synchronize some other settings, so it’s nice to have when you need it.

I suspect that DxO is just planning to migrate the Mac feature to Windows; I hope they do more.

This requested feature is a must have and has my vote.

In fact, this is THE most important thing that could make me switch entirely to photolab. A selective copy/paste should be doable without creating a preset, and without selecting all the pictures that I want to modify first.

It’s very simple in C1 and LR (a list of checkboxes), not that much in PL… In C1, it’s VERY fast, because it can automatically check the boxes of the parameters that I have modified compared to the base rendition of the software. I can work on only one picture, then copy paste in a heart beat what I’ve done to as many pictures as I want… So much time saved.

1 Like

If this feature is added (interstitial with checkboxes to paste adjustments) then surely with the C1 modification and not in its nightmare Lightroom version (everything checked, no indication of what is actually enabled within the set).

2 Likes

I’m having trouble imagining a use case in which I care about which corrections are enabled. To me, it would imply that I had no idea what I was trying to accomplish by pasting a set of corrections. If I’m trying to create a consistent set of corrections among a set of images, then those are the corrections I want to make. It doesn’t matter to me if a correction is disabled; if it is, it means that I want it disabled in all the images in the set. It doesn’t matter if it is enabled, as it may not be a setting that I want to copy.

Perhaps you could give an example where one would care about the currently enabled corrections?

As I’m not a Lightroom user and Adobe Camera RAW does not a separate copy/paste (you can perform a copy/paste equivalent using “synchronize”), I looked for the dialog that horrifies you so much. The dialog allows selecting subsets of the settings using a drop-down. One of the drop-down options is “modified”. This sounds like what you want.

PL2 could certainly include PL2 a “currently enabled corrections” option in the copy/paste dialog. This would be the least interesting option to me, so it would also be nice if they could have a preference setting for the default set selected the first time the dialog appears. The second through nth time the dialog appears, I would prefer that it remember the last selection.

I don’t believe the dialog’s default is to have everything checked. I believe it skips local adjustments and geometry, but a real Lightroom user would have to verify this.

2 Likes

This sounds just contrarian. I don’t want to have to think about what I’ve done with the image whose settings I’m borrowing. By only showing boxes which have changes, I’ll only have to deal with five to seven boxes (usually) and not 56 or 78 or however many show up in Lightroom. It’s a hell of a lot of boxes.

For the copy above, the only adjustment I made to the image was the basic exposure slider (a smidgen to enable copy settings). Why on god’s green earth should I have to puzzle through all those other settings (which never came anywhere near this photo)? Just stupidity, typical Adobe stupidity. Why use a hammer to repair your wall when you can use a sledgehammer or better yet a jackhammer?

First, it looks like you have an older copy of Lightroom. The current version appears to support what you want (as I mentioned).

You don’t have to think about what you’ve done to an image. You do need to think about what you want to accomplish by pasting the copied settings into a set of images.

If you intend to create a consistent set of images, then you’ll usually want to copy everything except geometry, cropping and local adjustments. This is the default for the LR dialog, so there’s little to ponder. It doesn’t matter if you just changed the exposure or altered a number of other settings—if your the end goal is to make the images consistent, this is what the default LR setting does.

If the images vary in some way where perhaps the only reasonable thing to copy is the exposure adjustment, then you turn off everything and select just the exposure. It doesn’t matter what changes you made to the source image; you have evaluated the destination images and decided that they should only receive the exposure setting from the source. The destination images and your goals drive the selection.

You gave an artificial example, one without context. Perhaps you could provide an example in the context of a particular set of images and what you are trying to achieve with the copy. I suspect in any real-world example you could come up with, the answer will either be “use the LR default” or “there is no way around having to think about what you want to enable in the Copy dialog” (i.e. there is no way for LR or PL2 to automatically generate what you want).

Ayoul suggested that the default for the copy dialog should be to enable settings that differ from a “base rendition”. PL2 has no concept of a “base rendition” (other than, perhaps, the “No Adjustments” preset). Images receive a default preset, which can be set to any preset at all and can be changed at any time.

Let’s look at two scenarios: 1) the default copy setting is to copy everything that differs from the default preset and 2) the default copy setting is to copy everything that differs from “No Adjustments”—i.e. anything enabled.

Option 1 gets into trouble if I change the default preset in the preferences after I’ve processed a set of images. To get around this, PL2 could remember, for every image, what default preset was applied when it was first processed. Even if it did that, Option 1 has an implicit assumption that both source and destination images have the same “base rendition”. Since they may have been processed with different default presets, this assumption is incorrect.

Even if there were a base rendition and we could just copy the things that differed from the base, we still generally do not want to copy geometry, cropping or local adjustments. For the rest, there is zero difference between copying the differing settings and copying all of them—for the ones that don’t differ, copying and skipping makes zero difference.

Option 2 is not very useful when one approaches the copying task as a matter of creating a consistent look for some aspect of a set of images. For example, the DxO Standard preset is the factory default preset and it enables DxO Lighting. If I turn off DxO Lighting in my source image and I want to make all the destination images consistent in appearance, I want to copy the disabled DxO Lighting setting. I don’t want to skip it.

However, if PL2 wanted to keep everyone happy, it could provide a dialog similar to the LR one (the most recent LR CC version) with a drop-down to select: All, All except Geometry and Local Adjustment, All Enabled, and None. If they really wanted to go crazy, the could also allow defining presets, but that would add a lot of work. The four options I listed should be pretty easy to implement and cover close to 100% of all real-world use cases.

Wow. What a lot of words. I don’t enable any settings which I’m not using. My default set is nothing (well as I mentioned above, a camera colour emulation and auto cropping which isn’t used until I change horizon). Why should I want to even see those boxes?

If you want to copy on to a clean image, then just zero the target image with a preset before doing so.

How some photographers try to make the simple complicated. There’s Adobe for that, PhotoLab doesn’t have to follow in those second-rate footsteps. C1 also has a relatively awful, overly complex interface and workflow (albeit great layer and colour tools).

Good for you.

I believe that in LR, there is a short-cut that does what you want. No dialog, skips local adjustments and geometry, copies everything else.

I don’t need to copy onto a “clean” image. I know what I’m doing and can handle an advanced copy dialog without a problem. I mentioned some things based on comments by Ayoul.

However, your “zeroing” approach still doesn’t work. If I want to copy only the lighting settings but preserve everything else in the target images, zeroing the target is not going to do it. I suppose I could come up with a bunch of presets to clear various things—nah, the dialog is easier. And if I decide to copy the lighting settings, I want to copy enabled and disabled, not just the enabled.

I don’t find it complicated at all. It’s trivial to use and allows me to control things what I need when I need to. This is exactly the feature I’d like to see in PL2.

Since 95% of the time, most people want to copy everything except geometry and local adjustments, I’d have no problems with providing that as a quick option (i.e. avoid the dialog altogether). They almost got this part right on the Mac, but they copy geometry.

Good day everyone!

To please all participants in this discussion, the selective Copy/Paste feature is in our backlog and will be adressed in the near future :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

7 Likes

CaptainPO, great: just please make sure that the selective copy and paste checkboxes areis restricted to active modules in the source image and don’t include every adjustment under the sun. If the receiving file needs to be zeroed (no adjustments) before the paste, then let the photographer zero it. For all I care, you can add an option when pasting: “Zero existing adjustments before paste.”

Bonne nouvelle !

1 Like