Alleged security problem with PhotoLab 5.6.1 and 6.1.1

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Thanks Joanna I’ve found it also by Google search.

But the question is still why “Changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.”

That is one of the main reasons I will not change to MAc as my primary working OS, because there are so many things to which Apple/MAC forces me.

I won’t start a pro/contra discussion here I’m happy with windows and how it works for me and with me.

Have fun

I’m guessing this is to do with security and the concept of applications needing to be sandboxed to be distributed via the App Store.

I would be seriously interested if you could elucidate further on that? I changed over about 15 years ago and continued using Windows XP, in a Parallels virtual machine, for a few years after that. I soon found that I preferred to do everything “everyday” on the Mac side of things, using the Windows VM purely for writing my client’s Windows based app.

Then came the day that Visual Studio managed to fairly much trash Windows. It took me half an hour to restore the entire Windows virtual machine from a backup copy, whilst the Mac host machine continued to function perfectly.

By the way, it’s extremely rare for macOS to crash - it’s usually a badly written app. And, even then, you get a nice dialog that allows you to see the call stack and report it to the software author or Apple.

Interesting comment on the Mac crashing. Like you are can’t remember the last time I had a blue screen of death. Reminds me of when my son went to work for a company that used Macs back in 2000, which was very unusual in the UK at that time. I said that will be much better then Windows, no crashes etc, but he said, no they crash as much or worse than Windows. I suspect there is a Mac “code” that means you don’t talk about it. :slight_smile:

Never used Macs, primarily due to software support over the long term, but my pet “hate” with Macs is that all YouTube demos use Macs and literally no one turns off the silly animations. Yes, it was twee to see the file/folder disappear into a hole the first 20 times but it really grates for me. :slight_smile:

Compatibility with the 90’s is a GOOD thing. On Windows I can still run my MS Money application from sometime in the 1990’s. My friends who use Macs are always agonizing over how to synchronize their OS updates with their application updates because if they don’t a new application version won’t run.

1 Like

Hi, only short answer because we are on vacation.
Windows XP…just a joke?
The time has changed…and Windows 10 or 11 are very different to XP, much more better, more object oriented, more stable and a lot of builtin features than on XP.
For me I will stop the discussion, because it would be the same thsn Nikon vs Canon, BMW vs mercedes and so on.

Best regards

Guenter

1 Like

I’ve read that “Controlled Folder Access” should never be turned on by default precisely because it causes problems—if it’s on, a human turned it on, perhaps inadvertently or without understanding its impact. It will block almost any newly installed (or even updated) program from being able to save a file (e.g., a DOP) until you whitelist it in the settings. But the same program can be automatically blocked again if it takes an update.

I was using it voluntarily but stopped because it is a huge hassle and can interfere with programs that you didn’t even realize had received updates. The thing that made me turn it off was when I realized it was even blocking Microsoft’s own software from working after an update! Sometimes the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

AreDub wrote:

“The thing that made me turn it off was when I realized it was even blocking Microsoft’s own software from working after an update! Sometimes the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.”

As mentioned in my earlier posts, this is a feature, not a bug. No one wants Photos, OneDrive, etc. rummaging through their folders without being invited. To its credit, Microsoft acknowledges this by making off the default setting.

We clearly agree that leaving this in the default off setting is the way to go for most users. In a corporate setting, the admin IT folks can deal with these issues. For most of us it’s just overkill.