All dop files not removed when deleting in program

I am finding many dop files are not being deleted when deleting an image in PL. Its annoying having to go through every folder afterward removing the left over dop’s. Can’t the program be programed to correctly remove such thing every time? I also am concered the information may not being removed from the data base adding to its size (and posable errors)

Hello @John7,

It’s a bug if you remove the image inside the PhotoLab and a corresponding sidecar is not removed. Could you, please, create a ticket here - https://support.dxo.com explaining the problem and providing them with the logs (c:\Users\User_name\Documents\DxO PhotoLab logs)

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Have done though had to zip folder as was told too many files before doing so

Thank you!

Regret they are not really interested pass the problem to windows. The program uses windows so am told if bits are left its windows fault. I am not really convinced, if a program has a deletion function it should actually dealt all the bits created by that program.

Hello John,

Not really sure I understand your post correctly. Do you mean the issue is closed on the support side as ‘won’t fix’?
Could you, please, give me the ticket id?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Its ticket 155132. I was told its not a bug but “The .dop sidecar files are treated as individual files by Windows. When you do a remove of a photo file from within DxO PhotoLab, PhotoLab uses the file handling capabilities of Windows. It does not provide its own process to do this. At the present time, the only files removed are the photo files associated with your remove command in PhotoLab. We will be happy to pass along your interest in this capability to our development team for their consideration. A suggestion on your behalf will be automatically created and sent to the developers once this ticket is closed”

I have responded by pointing out that all files are not being removed on occasion and that something isn’t working from the program and the windows functions being used to remove some dop’s so there is a bug.

Regards

John

Okay, thank you

It’s a windows file. Here’s an in-Windows fix for cleaning up orphan files.
In a .CMD file, the line
for /r %%i in (.dop) do if not exist %%~dpni ren “%%i” %%~nxi.xxx
or in a command window, the line
for /r %i in (
.dop) do if not exist %~dpni ren “%i” %~nxi.xxx
will recursively walk directories, matching .DOP files with their conterpart. If there’s no counterpart, it’ll rename those ‘orphan’ DOP files to .dop.xxx

You can then search for *.xxx in Windows File Manager and delete or move them.
You could delete instead of renaming, but I’m a bit shy of posting any command line stuff that deletes files or folders.
If you don’t want it to recursively walk the folder tree, remove the ‘/r’.

BTW, if you are culling photos in PL/PL2, I’d suggest you instead use FastRawViewer for that task. It’s inexpensive, blazingly fast (not just because that’s their focus. but they’re not doing all the things that PL does).
I use it to cull out photos in which I’ve missed focus or blown highlights, and it (ahem!) allows me to view files with '‘auto’ WB even if I didn’t have the camera set that way.

1 Like

@bobkoure, you need to format code snippets as preformatted text in this forum otherwise it cripples quotation marks and * wildcards.

Besides, how does if not exist %~dpni distinguish dop files from image files (jpg jpeg cr2 cr3 nef arw…)

As far as I see, your example won’t work.

Thanks, I have got used to doing a search after each session now. Its something they should sort as when I went back over my folders I found this had been happening for 4-5 years. To just try blaming windows was a bit much as I have a number of programs that use this function and haven’t any others only partly removing there files.

you need to format code snippets as preformatted text in this forum otherwise it cripples quotation marks and * wildcards.

OK, hadn’t realized that code blocks work on this forum. Here it is again.

for /r %%i in ( *.dop) do if not exist %%~dpni ren “%%i” %%~nxi.xxx

or in a command window, the line

for /r %i in (* .dop) do if not exist %~dpni ren “%i” %~nxi.xxx

Besides, how does if not exist %~dpni distinguish dop files from image files (jpg jpeg cr2 cr3 nef arw…)

Look at how DOP files are named [image filename].[image extention].DOP.

As far as I see, your example won’t work.

It won’t without asterisks. Quotes are only important if filepath has spaces in it.
I normally do this kind of cleanup in Python, figured that’d leave folks in the dust (step1: install Python…) So I whipped this up - and tested it it - worked fine

That’s a nifty bit of syntax, Bob !

To make it a bit more robust (to handle the case of spaces in pathnames), I found it necessary to enclose the subject of the ren(ame) within quotes … ie:

John M

Follow-up: Hey @bobkoure - - Thanks again for your nifty little piece of code … I’m now using it on a regular basis … MUCH easier and faster then the method I was previously using :+1::clap::+1:

@CaptainPO: Perhaps such a feature could be included in the File-menu … to clean-up orphaned sidecar files (?)

Regards, John M

1 Like

@John-M => We have to implement a set of tools regarding the managing of the database and such, it could indeed be part of that as well.

Best regards,
Fabrizio

2 Likes

This is an improvement on support just blaming the failure to remove all dop’s on windows. But better improve the programing so all dop’s are removed when images are deleted in the program!

No update on this one since Nov 2018 :thinking:?

This looks pretty much similar as a bug I reported some years ago, which could not be reproduced by the DxO team unfortunatelly.

Hello @PhilippeC,

Actually we are working on some stories connecting a more smart way of the sidecar creation/moderation and the issue you described can be fixed as a side effect. So, please, wait a bit and you will test a new behavior.

Thank you for the patience,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

2 Likes

In Windows it is easy to find all the dop files. Just open the folder in Explorer (the top level photo one for example) and use the search box to type in *.dop and all will be listed after a while. You can them delete them all if you wish.

Thanks but its just the ones left when deleting images in OP where OP failes, at times, to remove the dop’s.