After "horizon": cropping only within the image possible?

Hi,

is there an option to restrict the cropping tool to the image itself?

→ to avoid such “corners”:

After I applied the very useful “horizon” option to all of my photos in a folder I want to crop the image in my second step. But the behaviour of DPL is not very practicable for me and the mentioned option would be very useful for me.

Or where do I find such a option?

Thanks!
webaschtl

1 Like

Which version of PhotoLab are you using? In the Crop Correction drop down I have an option called “Auto based on keystoning/horizon.” which does exactly what you want but it may only be available in the Elite rather than the Essential version of PhotoLab, or may require the Viewpoint add-in. Since I have the upgraded software version of PhotoLab, as well as the various plug-ins that DXO offers, its sometimes difficult to know exactly what others are seeing.

Mark

1 Like

Checking out this version because of its automatically “horizon” option. After this step I have to crop all images. But it would a help when it would not be possible to crop areas outside the image – of course…

It doesn’t do exactly what want. Cropping is very annoying after straightening or perspective adjustment especially when the image edges are similar to the screen background.
There should definitely be an option to keep the crop rectangle within the bounds of the adjusted image.

There is absolutely an option that does exactly that, but as I indicated it may require the Elite version of PhotoLab and/or the Viewpoint add-in. You can see the option to auto constrain in the Crop panel next to Correction dropdown called “Auto based on keystoning/horizon”. Not sure of the wording in other languages.

Mark

Click on the image to expand it.

1 Like

YES. You must to turn to “Correction : Auto based on keystoning / horizon” in the palette “Geometry - Crop”.
I thought you had read my tutorial !?
Pascal

That actually doesn’t always do what is being asked. Note in this image that preserve aspect ratio is set on the crop panel on the left side.

What fixes the issue ietting the Correction from Manual to Auto based on keystoning /horizon in the crop dialog box. But that feature may not be available to everyone. See image below

1 Like

I made a mistake :frowning: .
I have corrected my post.

Pascal

1 Like

However, I’m not sure that feature is available to everyone. Is it, perhaps, added by Viewpoint or in the Elite Edition?

Mark

Sorry Mark
I forgot about you.
This function is available for all versions (Essential without ViewPoint).

In fact in viewPoint standalone you are the ability to move while remaining inside the useful part of the image.

Pascal

OK. So that should resolve both webaschtl and yonni’s issue regardless of the version they have.

Mark

The auto option gives a maximal crop for a given aspect ratio. I want an option to allow manual cropping with the crop rectangle being restricted to the adjusted image area. It is painful when you want to get a corner of the crop rectangle as close as possible to a diagonal image edge. Many times I have produced images with black slivers that make me go back and crop again or fill them in photoshop.

I do not understand what you want it to do that is not addressed by the information we provided. It automatically crops your image to remove areas that are beyond the border. If you are using the feature we suggested there should be no black slivers at all. Perhaps we are talking about something different than you are. In the crop dialog did you set Correction to “Auto based on keystoning/horizon”?

Mark

1 Like

It works on any „predefined“ aspect ratio indeed. It does not work an a „variable“ aspect ratio, which seems to be the request.

1 Like

Again: :wink:

my first step is the option to auto rotate an image (“horizon”) – wonderful result:

After the image was automatically aligned (rotated) and cropped (of course, because we do not need black edges…), I want to crop the image manually. But our problem is: there seems to be no option in OPL Elite to restrict the crop tool within the image itself – it should not be possible to mark areas outside the images to avoid “black edges”.

New screenshots of an example image
[damned; I can’t insert more than one screenshot :frowning: – oh, no, and I can’t insert more than 2 links … :frowning:

… I’m afraid, please see “next answers”.

1 Like

Bad / not wanted:

1 Like

Good / wanted:

1 Like

e.g. in Adobe Bridge (CS6) it’s not possible to select an area outside the image – because usually it makes no sense…

… but in Bridge the wonderful “horizon” option is missing. Therefore we need a combination of Bridge and DPL (= BriPL?).

Thanks for all your help! And patience :wink:

2 Likes

[quote=“mwsilvers, post:13, topic:7955”]
do not understand what you want it to do that is not addressed by the information we provided.[/quote]

I can’t see how this is so difficult to understand. If I wan’t something smaller than the maximal crop given by the auto option as soon as I manually change the crop rectangle auto is turned off and I have to manually (try) to avoid black slivers.
webaschtl complains about the same thing.

1 Like

There is a feature request for this. Please vote:

(Fixed the link so it goes to the top where the Vote button is)

1 Like