Adding a second SSD to my computer

I’m using Windows 11 in a pretty fast gaming computer. I’ve maxed out on internal memory (32 gig). My C: drive is an 2TB SSD which has Windows and important programs like DXO PureRaw3 on board and the C: drive is roughly 70% empty. My operational drive - where the working image files are located - is an internal 2TB D: drive and it’s not particularly fast. The prices of 2 TB SSDs are fairly low at the moment and I’m thinking about replacing my D: with an SSD. Is there going to be any appreciable increase in DXO PureRaw3’s processing speed or any other advantage if I add that SSD drive?

You can always run Windows Task Manager / Resource Monitor to look at disk access stats while you work in PureRAW. You can take it as a given that an SSD will be faster than your HDD - maybe several times faster. (Quieter, too.) But whether or not the speed boost actually matters is subjective. It’ll be measurable, especially if you work on a lot of image files in batches. But if you’re like me and prefer to work on images one at a time or in very small batches, it won’t matter much.

Even when processed in batch mode (PL6 + DP or DPXD), the files are written one by one on the disk. With a processing time of, at least, a few seconds, I don’t think there is a need for a very fast disk.

I shoot a lot of sports using Photo Mechanic for culling and captioning. Hockey will go from 1500+ shots in a period to perhaps 80 “one star” images that make the first cull. My files are 18MP files from a Canon 1DX, so by today’s standards they aren’t very big. I can’t use DXP PR3 as a plug in because I use Capture One as my RAW converter, and since I got PR3 I run all of those one stars to
create the dng files. That PR3 conversion takes about 20 minutes on my computer and I’m hoping to speed that up, and the only thing I can think of is getting a faster SSD D:drive. I just don’t know if that D: SST will actually affect that speed, and was wondering if anyone actually is using a two SSD fast computer to run DXO PR3 and what their times for processing looks like.

You could try to use your C:\ drive as conversion target for a bunch of files and compare the export time with the one you’re used from your HDD, no? So you would know if it’s worth to invest in another SSD.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I’ll try that.