Add native Nik support for Capture One Pro

I would love to see native support for the Nik Collection within Capture One Pro. I left LR (and Adobe’s subscription model) behind but would love to be able to carry the Nik Collection forward with me…

I already use the Nik collection with Capture One Pro - as a plugin. Click File/Edit with… and choose which of the Nik tools you want to use

That’s interesting and good to know - I don’t have that option. I have Capture One V11 and the DXO version of the Nik Collection installed. How did you make the Nik Collection appear as an option when you choose File > Edit with…right now I just have Photoshop listed.

Edit/file/ (the option it offers you is clickable - and you can then choose) choose …

It’s worth experimenting with any software you use regularly - I used to be able to open Olympus viewer although I haven’t done it for ages.

Good luck.

I got it to work - seems to work pretty well as long as you use the tif format. Thank you for sharing that - I’m excited to be able to use that now in CO 11.

@MaggieSt is there anyway to get all of the Nik tools listed in the drop down in Capture One or do you have to browse to the .exe file of the module you want every time? In other words, I can browse to the .exe file I want and use it but it does not stay “added” to the drop down.

I would be nice if there were a way to add that.

Paul mine are all there, in the drop down list. I don’t know why that should be different for me - maybe it has something to do with your set-up - but I can’t imagine what. I am not an expert but I get whichever application I last used pre-selected in the drop down list and to change I just click and select.

Any support for Dxo Nik with Capture One Pro 12?

Just works as before either “edit with” or “open with” the file you want to edit.

Check the C1Pro preferences - plugin tab. If the plugins are not ticked tick the relevant box to make them appear in the “edit/open with” menu. If they are not listed then you need to add them to the plugin list using the OS. Select a file in Windows explorer and right click and “open with” the relevant plugin. This will add the program to the Preferences plugin tab.

Ian

1 Like

Paul, did you ever find a solution to this, I seem to have the same problem where I can Edit With and then brows to the Nik plugins, they are not added to the drop down. They are also not available for selection under the plug in settings under preferences.

Hi Mark
In Mac every program is automatically listed in the Preferences plugin list and you just uncheck the ones you don’t want to see when you right click in C1. With Windows you have to manually add most programs.

Check the C1Pro preferences - plugin tab. If the plugins are not ticked tick the relevant box to make them appear in the “edit/open with” menu. If they are not listed then you need to add them to the plugin list using the OS. Select a file in Windows explorer and right click and “open with” the relevant plugin. This will add the program to the Preferences plugin tab.

Ian

Hello, unfortunately not all are automatically listed for me, I only have Affinity Photo and Affinity designer listed, Nik and Dxo aren’t in the list. This appears to be a problem with Capture One and I am trying to figure it out with them.

I thought I would let you know that I have a solution to how use Nik plugins with Capture One (Windows version). So, following the below set of steps I have managed to add a set of apps to the dropdown list in Capture One (Inc Nik Collection, Dxo Photo lab 3.2, Film pack (standalone) and Viewpoint (standalone)) :

So in this example I am trying to add the Nik Collection apps to the Edit/Open With Dropdown list, and more specifically ColorEfex. It is the same process for any other app.

1. First find a Tiff file (or other) in Windows Explorer that you can edit with the app you are trying to add (Nik allows edit of Tiff files). Since Nik is compatible with Tiff I recommend using a Tiff.

2. Right click the file (in Windows Explorer) and select ‘Open With’

3. Select ‘Choose Another App’

4. Scroll to the bottom of the list, select ‘More Apps’

5. Scroll to the bottom of the list, select ‘Look for another app on this PC’

6. A browse window will open, navigate to the app you want to edit the file with, in this example ColorEfex, then select ‘Open’.

7. Close ColorEfex, you can just click ‘Cancel’, you don’t have to save the file, the act of getting Windows to open the file with the app is the important thing here.

8. Now the next time you open up Capture One the app you edited the Tiff (or other) file with should appear in the list.

I had to run this process for each of the tools I wanted to be added to the drop down list in Capture One. It is quite a manual process but it does the job (or it did in my case).

It appears that Capture One is looking at the Windows file associations to make the determination of the ‘allowed editors’ and to make the association with the application Windows needs to have been used to open the file type. Since I have only ever sent files to the Nik apps via other applications the file associations had never been made.

I hope that makes sense, if not drop me a note and I can maybe create some screen grabs.

Regards,

Mark

PS I can now also use round trip editing using Capture One and Dxo Photo lab. Configure Photo lab as an allowed editor as per above instructions, send a file to Photo Lab using Capture One, then once finished in Photo Lab, select Export To Application, this will then open Capture One and the import box, the file can then be imported into the catalogue.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

No, I never got it to work. I can browse the to the Nik Tools using the “Edit with > browse” command but Capture One does not “remember” that was a selection and does not add it to the drop down for successive photos. In addition, when I go to the Capture One Pro Preferences > Plugins I have Photoshop and Affinity Designer listed but Capture One does not see Affinity Photo or the Nik Tools.

Ironically, and the part that makes me happiest, is that Capture One helpfully lists Firefox, Paint and Windows Photo Viewer. I can’t make those go away but I can’t add the software I really want/need.

Paul,

Have a look at my previous post on this, I managed to figure out how to make Capture One ‘see’ the Nik apps and other. I wrote a step by step that is hopefully easy to follow. If not let me know and I can produce some screen grabs.

The apps you don’t want to be shown can be disabled under the plugin preferences in Capture One (Edit menu/preferences/plugin.

Thanks Ian,

That worked perfectly. I have tried so many different things, uninstalling, re-installing etc to try to get this to work. Tried what you said about Open WIth … from explorer and worked perfectly instantly.

Thanks again
Brian