Accessing the plug-ins from host applications

Photoshop
To access the plug-ins in Photoshop, please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Filters > Nik Collection
  2. Select the plug-in to be applied to the image

To open HDR Efex Pro 2, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to File > Automate
  2. Select Merge to HDR Efex Pro 2
  3. Click Select to open a file browser to select the desired images to be merged into an HDR image and click OK

Photoshop also offers a separate window for easy access to the plug-ins. This is called the Selective Tool, and it automatically opens when Photoshop opens. If you would like to change this setting so that it does not automatically open, click on the Settings button in the lower left corner of the window. If you close the Selective Tool and then wish to reopen it, navigate to File > Automate > Nik Collection Selective Tool.

Lightroom
To access the plug-ins in Lightroom, please follow these steps:

1. Select the image or images to be enhanced
  2. Navigate to Photo > Edit In
  3. Select the plug-in to be applied to the image(s)

To open HDR Efex Pro 2, follow these steps:

1. Select the image series to be enhanced
  2. Navigate to File > Export with Preset
  3. Select HDR Efex Pro 2

Aperture
To access the plug-ins in Aperture, follow these steps:

1. Select the image or images to be enhanced
  2. Navigate to Photos > Edit with Plug-In
  3. Select the plug-in to be applied to the image(s)

Photoshop Elements
To access the plug-ins in Photoshop Elements, please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Filter > Nik Collection
  2. Select the plug-in to be applied to the image

Photoshop Elements also offers a separate window for easy access to the plug-ins. This is called the Selective Tool, and it automatically opens when Photoshop Elements opens. If you would like to change this setting so that it does not automatically open, click on the Settings button in the lower left corner of the window. If you close the Selective Tool and then wish to reopen it, navigate to File > Automation Tools > Nik Collection Selective Tool.

Please note, HDR Efex Pro 2 is not compatible with Photoshop Elements. Photoshop Elements cannot support 32-bit images, which is a requirement for HDR imaging.

1 Like

bonjour
j’ai capture one 11 et la collection NIK. tout se passe bien sauf pour HDR efex pro qui lorsque je sĂ©lectionne plusieurs images , les ouvre une Ă  une et n’effectue pas la fusion HDR. comment faire ? merci

Hi, I downloaded Nik for Mac, loaded it, but Color Efex Pro crashes on my new IMac with High Sierra. I use it – that, is I want to use it – with Photoshop. Is it Sierra that’s the problem or the download?

I can’t download it again
no link to be found. I’ve used the whole Nik collection for years, after buying it, and love it. As a pro photographer, I need it.

Can you help? Thanks,

D’ArcyG

Thank you for the Lightroom tip. I thought that I was going mad. Every time I tried to find Silver Efex pro2 I was looking via Plug in manager. I could only find HDR Efex. As soon as I saw here that I should be using Photo>Edit in I found all the Nik plug ins including Silver Efex Pro2. I tried it out on an image that I had converted in Lightroom to Black and White. The result was magical. Thanks again.

I use HDR 2 with PhotoLab. You may be able to do similar with C1

1. I apply a ‘lens correction only’ profile I created previously
  2. export TIFFs to a separate folder
  3. go to C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\HDR Efex Pro 2\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit) (I am on a 64 bit machine)
  4. run HDR Efex Pro 2.exe
  5. HDR Efex Pro file selection comes up
  6. select TIFF files in HDR folder
  7. do whatever HDR actions seem appropriate
  8. ‘create HDR’ (or ‘OK’, can’t remember)
  9. Open the HDR file in DXO PL for additional work (or PS, if I want layers and content aware fill

Sorry, but my French is not so great, so I am replying in English

I have previously used the old Nik Collection as standalone. I am excited for the New collection and support. Question? I don’t have or use photoshop, I use Affinity Photo. Can I use the DxO Nik collection as standalone? Can it be accessed from Affinity and will that be an option for me in the future? Some how, some way I would love to use Nik without giving up Affinity. Thanks

Hi John - - Yes, nothing has changed in this respect;

To use any of the Nik Collection tools as standalone apps you simply need to navigate to:
C:\Program Files\DxO\Nik Collection\ {Tool Name}
eg. C:\Program Files\DxO\Nik Collection\ Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)

and then double-click on the executable file (eg. Color Efex Pro 4.exe )

You could also drag a shortcut (referring to the executable file) to your desktop 
 and then you’ll be able to drag&drop an image to the shortcut.

I’ve always wonder why shortcuts to the stand-alone applications have never had Start menu shortcuts created by the installer?
It wouldn’t be too difficult.

2 Likes

Agree with terrycym, install shortcuts.

Hi Jules,

Thank you for your post on the Nik collection, and DXO for their efforts in reviving the Nik collection.

If I understand you correctly, purchasing and installing the DXO Nik Collection would allow me to (continue to) use Nik plug-ins from within Apple Aperture.

I happen to use Google’s Nik collection (stand alone and Aperture plug-ins in Aperture 3.6) under MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. Apps in /Applications/Nik Collection and plug-ins in /Library/Application Support/Aperture/Plug-Ins/Google/

Will the DXO stand alone and plug-in versions of the Nik collection just overwrite the Google versions of the apps and plug-ins. And everything will just work, without loss of functionality?

Could you please let me know?

Thanks

Rudolf

Right now Nik and Affinity work fine together if you install it this way . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7kRQTMI1Nw&t=275s

Anyway that was what i did after many other options and this one works.
Hope this is of any help.
Plaatje

Mmmmm,

I’ve installed DxO Nik with this method like I had installed Google Nik also.

But, some plugins are not working, ie Color Efex, Analog Efex, Silver Efex, HDR Efex, hanging at step “Preparing the image”.

It’s important that you make a plugin folder. F.e. mine is in Documents-Affinity-Plugins. So when you"re installing Nik use the + button and choose the Plugin folder you’ve made Then when you’re back in Affinity choose that folder.
Succes
Plaatje

Yes,

that’s what I’ve done, mine is in Pictures/Photothùques/Nik_DxO.
The video showing any folder, on the desktop in the video, I guess it should be ok, and Affinity find correctly the Filters and start them, but some are hanged, and also freeze Affinity that I have to force to quit.

Maybe check the Nik version. Mine is 5.0.0.0.x64(v1.2.15)

Yes, I have the same.

To double check, I’ve deinstall Nik, then reinstall in another folder for Affinity plugins, redo Affinity Nik plugins installation, and it’s the same problem.

Affinity version is 1.6.7.

As there is request for Affinity Photo compatibility, I guess this means it’s not yet completely done, so explain why some plugins does not work well in all situations.

I’ve change the Nik version to the free version and my Affinity is also 1.6.7. No problems. So maybe the compatibility is not perfect. maybe we should write to Affinity also. I will add this on their forum.

Serif is aware of the compatibility problems. There is a thread running here:

Taken from the Afinity thread:

"Most DxO Nik Collection plugins don’t run on the Mac (Analog Efex Pro 2, Colour Efex Pro 4 , Silver Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro 2ï»ż). They get stuck at some point. It’s better keep using the (free) Google version for now.

All DxO Nik Collection plugins run on Affinity Photo for Windows, however there may be a few pontual issues due to plugins implementation/support differences between Affinity Photo and Photoshop. I still have to check each one individually so it’s better to install the trial and see if they do everything you are expecting."

Only the urgency to resolve something is missing.

I hope they solve this problem. I once was a Nik user, but did not use it anymore. Just installed it out of curiosity.