Accept Photoshop/Lightroom plugins

Patrick,

You stated the above. What are the steps/menus/submenus/selections that enabled PL to directly use and then display in PL the results of DxO Nik RAW pre-sharpener without export to a de-mosaiced (eg, TIFF) file and re-importation of such a non-raw file? Assuming that the RAW pre-sharpener has not changed from the previous licensed-for-fee release of the Nik collection, I want to use this plugin in my currently licensed-for-fee PL6E complete workflow.

Thanks for any (detailed) information.

Kind regards,

Yasha

Yasha,

I have done some more testing this evening (09/10/22). I cannot get a RAW file to open in Dfine 2 or Sharpener Pro 3 RAW Presharpener/ Output Sharpener via the PL6 Nik Collection plugin.

I thought it could be achieved by selecting the ‘Export selected file(s) without processing’ option.

Unfortunately it now appears that a JPEG and not a RAW file is actually opened.

To make matters worse when you try and save any edits you get the following pop-up.

Using Sharpener Pro 3 as a stand alone application, seems to have correctly opened a Nikon NEF file.

However when I tried to save my edits an error occurred!

Fortunately clicking on the pop appears to have saved the modifications to the NEF file.

I think we are reaching the stage where we need some input on this product from DxO!

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick,

I fully agree – DxO technical support / engineering needs to explain under what circumstances the various Nik collection plugins work with PL (including differences between the various PL editions – eg, works with Elite one way, but with non-Elite another). I do know from direct use that RAW pre-sharpener works with a NEF file (Z9 lossless compression, not HE) under Serif Affinity current, with no external de-mosaiced file required, and seems to be working on the raw (NEF) in so far as Affinity does so.

It also would be useful if DxO technical support could comment on the differences in terms of sharpening and denoise between the various Nik collection entities and DeepPRIME XD, the current “best” automatic image correction that DxO offers.

Should we bring this to the attention of Marie and/or Svetlana?

Kind regards,

Yasha

Hi Yasha,

I think it would be useful to flag the post for the attention of the DxO staff.

Regards,

Patrick

no problem here to send a raw-file (nef in this case) via PL6 to Nik → note, that I’m on Nik 4 (+ 3)

and all of them export as a JPEG or TIFF,
grafik
which in PL is quickly visible as unprocessed ‘intermediate’ file
before the chosen Nik tool opens it, to be then processed and saved again

[the option ‘to export w/o processing’ allows to reopen & reprocess the JPEG, TIFF-file]

One thing this thread has made me do is re-read the Nik 5 user guide & the manual!

The mystery here is that within Sharpener Pro 3, we have a module described as ‘RAW Presharpener’. Unless I am missing something, the attached screenshot from the Nik user guide suggests to me it works with RAW files?

Patrick

Patrick,
for the PreSharpener please see Accept Photoshop/Lightroom plugins - #13 by Wolfgang

Yasha,

Unless I am missing something, I cannot find a way of flagging the post for a reply from DxO?

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick,

I just composed and purportedly sent a message to Marie (with a request to forward the question to Svetlana et al as needed) to please read this Forum thread. Specifically: As you will read, there is a question of just what “RAW” image formats the RAW pre-sharpener can use (RAW means mosaiced, eg, NEF, not TIFF, linear DNG, etc) and why it works as a plugin in Serif Affinity (and Adobe Photoshop) but not in PL6E, but rather seems to require export to a de-mosaiced file that PL6E would then no longer “handle” as a raw file.

Regards,

Yasha

Affinity and Photoshop, both programs develop the raw-file before the PreSharpener PlugIn ‘takes place’ and both then save the processed output in their formats (afphoto / psd …).

Different to them, PL develops the raw-file & exports as a (shortly) visible TIFF or JPEG before that new file is passed on to the PreSharpener. After processing in the Nik tool, the file is saved, the Nik tool closed and the ‘intermediate’ file version in PL updated – no extra file left.
[ there was a time, when that last step didn’t work, but the bug was resolved ]

• All 3 programs have to develop the raw-file first, before a Nik tool can be applied.

Things would be different, if the Nik tools were fully integrated like Filmpack and ViewPoint – and the output file was exported later, as TIFF or JPEG.
[ for now, one can reprocess some TIFFs … ]

1 Like