About Updates\Upgrades, Pricing and the Development Roadmap

1. Because it’s on offer right now.
  2. Because supporting development of a product I’m likely to use for a long time to come makes economic sense, esp in light of 1) and encourages further development and improvement of the product.
  3. The new versions seems faster and a bit less crash-prone than the existing version, although I did have my first Photoshop crash with DXO Nik yesterday…

But beyond that I do have to weigh it up.

3 Likes

If I were you, I would wait to buy a license for Nik Collection of DXO until DXO comes with a version of this product that works properly, right now, Photochop CC 2018 breaks down every time you say ok to make it into a new layer, I have heard that it does not work in windows and on screens with 4K so wait and use what you have today is probably much better. DXO should stop sending mails with advertisements that they have a super product that just does not work

Hello @Kim

I have to disagree with you DxO NIK2018 is very stable on Windows and it works with Photoshop CC 2018 with no problem - at least we don’t get any complaint from the users who really use the product.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

@Kim

What you’ve heard is not correct. It works very well on Windows and I’ve used the Dxo version many times. I haven’t used all the plugins - mostly Analog Efex, Silver Efex, Color Efex and I’m using both on normal layers and also on Smart Objects, on small and large images without any problem.

I’ve only had one crash in Photoshop CC 2018, so will keep an eye on that, but I haven’t had any reoccurrence of an old bug I used to encounter in the Google version when it used to freeze sometimes during the Pre-Processing image stage.

If anything the new version seems a bit snappier than the Google version, so maybe there’s been some code optimisation.

Photoshop CC 2018 has just had a maintenance update yesterday but no crashes with that so far either.

Anyway, returning to my OP, would someone from DxO be able to comment on my question about pricing\product roadmap for Nik Collection please?

Is the plan to release point releases between now and the next major release etc?

Thanks
Richard

Hello @craftycurate,

Richard, the Top management is preparing a global message about it and it will soon be released.

Thank you

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana

Thanks … do you know if this will this be released before 1st July, to help me make a purchasing decision during the special offer period?

Thanks
Richard

Should be, Richard.

Great thanks :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: DxO NIK collection strategy

@jma

Thanks - that’s the information I was after. Have just bought a license. Experience so far suggests that DxO is good at interacting with customers and cares about the product, so I’m happy to support this as it’s become a key product in my workflow.

Thanks
Richard

1 Like

Will any special pricing be made available for users who paid for the Nik Collection before being sold to Google and distributed for free? For those of us who spent hundreds of dollars for a product to be told, that means nothing, leaves a feeling of customers being disposable, not only by Nik but now by you… If we start the process all over again as “new customers”, how long until we are disposed of again?

If DxO decides to offer any kind of deal it is out of the goodness of their hearts and not out of any kind of moral or legal obligation, since Google “abandoning” the product and customers is solely their decision and responsibility and not Dxo’s.

Yes it’s gutting, and I’ve also been stung by this kind of thing, but demanding a deal from the new owner is a bit like asking the new householder to pay the outstanding utilities bill run up by the previous tenant. If you feel you are owed anything you need to pursue Google for it.

2 Likes

First, no one is “demanding” a deal, I was simply asking if the new company would recognize loyal paying customers from the past or if they even give a damn… it goes along way to understand if they are going to be around next year when they are promising updates.

Second, do you officially represent DxO? because if you do, I hope it is in finance or shipping, your customer service skills are lacking.

And finally my frustration is with Nik, as they abandoned this suite when they sold out to Google who wasn’t the least bit interested in owning this, they wanted something else that was bundled with this in the sale. Yes Google promised to take care of Nik’s customers and lied, but that’s another story altogether.

I was asking a question to gain more information, but thanks for the attitude, bless your heart.

Really meant no offence, you just caught me in a straight talkin’ kind of mood :slight_smile:

1. Saying things like “how long until we are disposed of again” is not “simply asking” - I get that you’re p***ed off with a previous company but lashing out doesn’t help.

The subtle point also was that if there was any possibility that DxO could ever be convinced to offer a sweetener to Nik customers then a bit of diplomacy would be the way to go.

1. I don’t represent DxO in any way.I have to pay my way like you. Sometimes I don’t like how companies treat their paying customers, just like you. I decided to pay for a Nik license to support future development, and I paid the asking price so there’s no hidden agenda here. All I can say is that DxO have seemed pretty good so far so I’m hopeful this product will be developed and maintained well for some time to come, as it’s one I use often.

2. OK fair play, for “Google” read “Nik” in that case.

There are some earlier posts on this thread by DxO Staf, where I asked something similar about the product and pricing - that might go some way to answering your questions.

1 Like

Hello @dan329

It’s a pity you (first Nik Collection users) were treated like that but unfortunately we can’t do anything with it except for the free version which you can find on the following webpage: https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001439187-Is-it-still-possible-to-get-the-free-download-version-of-the-Nik-Collection-1

We also suggested Nik 2018 with a special price from the very beginning which is rather low.
+According to our licenses policy if you buy a version, you do not need to pay extra money for the intermediate updates. And when you upgrade from one major version to another (2018 to 2019 for example) you will pay only the upgrade price which is usually half price.

And as it has already been said:

I hope to see you among our customers and we’ll try not to disappoint you anymore.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

thanks for the reply…

While I do understand your thought processes, I do consider this a wasted opportunity for you to create a new loyal base. If what you say is true and you do plan on continuing to improve this app, paid updates would seem to require people who have already shown enough interest to pay for it’s true worth. So many have found it and used it for free, but that’s not the same thing.

Forgive me for being cautious, but with the bankruptcy and all, it’s easy to see where I might be overly cautious about throwing money at something with an uncertain future. After investing over $500.00 in this software, and then watching someone taking my money and running away, my concern is easily justified…

Has pricing been set for this “half price upgrade” if I make the $50 investment now?

btw… I followed your link, but the pricing no longer seems to be the mentioned $50, it’s actually $69. When it comes to building trust, it’s an awkward first step.

Hello Dan,

• Yes the upgrade will be half price for all the users who bought the paid version no matter if he/she bought it by special price or full.
  • Dan, the ‘special price’ was “49” for almost a month and everybody who bought it during this month can confirm it was 49. Starting from this week it gets to the full one which is 69. Actually DxO suggests “Sale” price to its products rather often (mostly on some holidays occasions) and everybody who has registered receives the notifications about the sales prices via email.

So it’s up to you to use the free version and wait for a new sale or buy a full price and receive updates from now on.

P.S. And I do understand your worries about the future of the product as your hopes had already been deceived by a previous company. I can tell you that we are already working on developing of a new Nik version and collecting requests from the users at the same time to ensure we are on the right way.
I guess for you the best way is to wait for an official announcement that we are no more in the “bankruptcy” procedure and then buy a product.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

2 Likes

Isn’t this amazing: Response to a user’s question from a DxO employee/representative that’s direct and frank … I doubt we’d see that from, say, Adobe !

Great work, Svetlana

2 Likes