About the Global Contrast

My best wishes for you all, dear DxO team and earlier users.
I’ll never know how to write both for Win and Mac users :frowning:

About this suposed bug, I have a question for experts users.

When do you use Global Contrast ?
After exposure compensation and Smart Lighting I guess, but:

• from the beginning of your corrections before Selective tone
  • before or after eventual ClearView correction

Pascal
https://forum.dxo.com/t/about-the-new-basic-tools-palette/17468

Pascal,

I don’t understand what casting a vote in this topic would accomplish. Perhaps you can explain it better en français.

Mark

Thank for your attention Mark.

I do not expect a vote but I am addressing to, both, Win and Mac users.
This forum does not allow it :frowning:

Pascal

OK. So you are just asking when we apply global contrast in our workflow, correct.?

In general I apply global contrast settings for contrast, micro contrast, fine contrast, as well as highlight, midtone and shadow fine contrast, very early in my editing workflow often, but not always, following exposure compensation, smart lighting,and selective tone. I only use the global selective tone sliders moderately because of the huge overlap between them. I usually apply Clearview Plus, if needed, after the initial global contrast edits. Additionally I may tweak the various contrast slider adjustments I made earlier in my workflow later on if needed…

Vous demandez donc simplement quand nous appliquons le contraste global dans notre flux de travail, correct ?

En général, j’applique les réglages de contraste global pour le contraste, le micro-contraste, le contraste fin, ainsi que le contraste fin des hautes lumières, des tons moyens et des ombres, très tôt dans mon travail de montage, souvent, mais pas toujours, après la compensation de l’exposition, l’éclairage intelligent et le ton sélectif. Je n’utilise que modérément les curseurs de tonalité sélective globale en raison de l’énorme chevauchement entre eux. J’applique généralement Clearview Plus, si nécessaire, après les premières modifications du contraste global. En outre, je peux modifier les différents réglages des curseurs de contraste que j’ai effectués plus tôt dans mon travail, plus tard si nécessaire…

Mark

1 Like

Hi Pascal - I’m replying to you in 3 parts, relative to your questions;

1. I have specific global Contrast settings in my default preset (that’s auto-applied to new images):
    It activates the “magic wand” for Microcontrast, and applies some modest settings for (Advanced) Midtones & Shadows (but then negates these by opposite settings for Fine Contrast - - which allows me to review these settings later,
    image … simply by “flicking” Fine Contrast ON/OFF).
    As you correctly guess; I don’t experiment with these settings until after I’ve dealt with Smart Lighting (and, possibly, Exp. Comp) … in that order.

2. I also have standard default settings for Selective Tone (applied by my default preset), which I review after I’ve tweaked my global Contrast settings.

3. After reviewing my ClearView settings (which I do immediately after Smart Lighting).

I’m not sure there’s any definite logic to my process - but that’s just how it has evolved for me …

John M

1 Like

Done!

Regards,
Svetlana G.

2 Likes

@Pieloe
On Windows the ‘hardcoded’ < Light > tab starts with Contrast

As that doesn’t make sense to me, I changed it to

on a 2-monitor-setup
( see How many of you uses a big or dualscreen mode and hoe many is working on tablet/laptop? )

regards, Wolfgang

I am not sure to understand your problem: DxO is a parametric soft and the order of corrections does not matter. You will get the same result whatever is this order.
PP

1 Like

I rarely, if ever, use global contrast. I prefer to use the tone curve and micro and/or fine contrast on highlights, mid-tones and shadows.

I find that…

Capture d’écran 2021-01-18 à 10.37.28

… gives virtually the same result as…

Capture d’écran 2021-01-18 à 10.37.54

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.
I never use this cursor, I was doing a “survey” to share this point.
It’s done :wink:

Pascal

What was the point you were making, Pascal ? … It’s not clear to me (?)

John M

Yes, that’s correct, Paule - - still, it does make sense to undertake some corrections before others - such as (and also according to your personal preference and/or your usual workflow) getting exposure/lighting settings how you like them before working on Local Adjustments, etc.

John M

1 Like

John
The question is

as you suggest “it does make sense to undertake some corrections before others” to see how your image comes.
We don’t speak abour the parametric treatment process.

Pascal

1 Like