Ability to flip image horizontally or vertically

I know this received 11 votes and was locked last month, but I wanted to add my vote. I have started to photograph negatives and it would be a very useful feature to have rather than export a TIFF and use another program such as Photoshop or Luminar.

Same here. In addition, it would be great to have some kind of profile too in order to invert images so that sliders keep their “normal” behaviour.

Images can be inverted through the tone curve(s) which even allow for corrections of colour negative film, but sliders work the other way 'round, so your brain has to twist a bit…

Inverting colour negatives might be a welcome addition to DxO Film Pack!

I agree! I have started with B&W negatives before attempting the much more complicated inversion/color correction/removal of orange color cast necessary for processing of color negatives.

Some are easy, some just don’t work at all. Here’s an example for easy:

Steps:

1. Invert using rgb tone curve and drag borders in to expand the histogram
  2. Select WB from white cloud (or some other neutral area)
  3. Tweak R or G or B tone curves (check red curve values in the screenshot)
  4. export to 16 bit TIFF
  5. do remaining work in TIFF

Note: the example shows steps 1-3, dirty negative, unretouched. Dirt is an issue.
You might want to increase vibrancy and saturation during step 1.

I also played around with different lighting (halogen, warm led, cool led, Durst M605c with dichroic filters to compensate some of the orange color cast) which did provide some differences, but not “the silver bullet” - alas.

I agree !!![quote=“platypus, post:2, topic:6313, full:true”]
Same here. In addition, it would be great to have some kind of profile too in order to invert images so that sliders keep their “normal” behaviour.

Images can be inverted through the tone curve(s) which even allow for corrections of colour negative film, but sliders work the other way 'round, so your brain has to twist a bit…

Inverting colour negatives might be a welcome addition to DxO Film Pack!
[/quote]

I agree !!!

Dear friends,
The problem is that EVERY color film brand (Kodak, Fuji, 3M, Agfa, …) has his own orange mask and, moreover, it depends upon the different C41 treatment (time, temperature, age of chemicals,…) so I think it’s impossible a fully automatic inversion. A good photolab is (was !) able to correct different orange mask only during the printing workflow

True, the good thing about computers is, that they can adjust to situations if programmed for it… This means that conversions should be automated processes, not necessarily fixed presets. Presets can give a starting point, the rest is up to smarter doings. :wink:

I cannot find any way of expanding the histogram. Which borders are you dragging in?

Thanks,
Joseph

See here for more information: https://forum.dxo.com/t/dxo-photo-lab-works-great-with-color-negative-scans/5772/10

The histogram is not expandable but works like a charm nevertheless, but again, this post is about flipping an image…

I read your post again and I realize now that I misinterpreted your statement regarding the expansion of the histogram,

Thanks for sharing the link. Unfortunately, I do not have access to that topic. Svetlana ,@sgospodarenko, can you help with this? Thank you.

Joseph

Hello Joseph,

Could you try now - DXO Photo Lab works great with color negative scans ?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Svetlana,

That works for me. Thank you!

Joseph

You are welcome, Joseph!