A video demo on editing images in PhotoLab

Hi
I have uploaded some videos of how to edit in PhotoLab
Here’s one of them:

Feedback will be highly appreciated
Thanks

8 Likes

Hi, first of all i apreciate the effort. Motion tutorials are one of the most difficult of tutorials. To interest a user which is experienced or a newbe at the same time is nearly impossible.
The image itself is a challencing one, which can be sent to different outcomes. Great shot btw.

My two cents.(it observation of my personal thoughts no bad or good)
1 it feels i watch over your shoulder how you (would) edit a image.
2 there are more ways to the end product. Like boxes of smart lighting.
(i don’t know if you tried it and didn’t like the outcome)
3 i missed the why’s. Why are you using the tool you choose.
(background info to dive in to the approach decisions you made by experience or earlier runs of this specific image, lay down the wrongs, why other ways have other outcomes.)
4 you click too fast on your start and end product on the beginning. Explain by showing the begin and end image why you want to change where by . Explain your idea, vision of your edited product. Explain the wrongs you want to correct in dxopl.
Start by telling the steps, exposure balance, color, contrast, global and local adjustments. A proper intro.
5 then proceed to the editting, show some of your tried and discarded corrections to explain why you find an other tool use better.
6 you added clearview and microcontrast which is adding twice microcontrast. Explain the risk of oversharpening.
7 upoints : explain why you add so many points by showing mask. With larger circles and smaller ones. Explain how the upoint works.

At the risk of a too long clip cut it in parts.

• The begin to end and what you are gona use.
  • how the used tools are working , show different outcomes.
  • The final editing steps to get to your desired endresult.

Again i have no bad or good judgement only my thoughts of what i am thinking watching the clip. Someone else could be saying the compleet oppocite.

Peter.

3 Likes

One can get too “locked-in” to one’s usual way of working - So, it’s always helpful to see someone else’s editing/correction process - - Thank you, Doron - I would be interested in watching more of your presentations.

A couple of comments:

• The “Compare” button (within Local Adjustments mode) provides a way to see the before&after results of your corrections.

• When you need to protect certain areas from the effects of a Graduated Filter (such as for your hand example), you need to use the Eraser tool (Alt-key/negative U-point does not apply to Grad.Filters).

John M

2 Likes

Wow Peter
Thank you for the detailed (and positively expressed) feedback.
I will print it and use it as a guidelines.
Honestly speaking you are right in every aspect. After my first two videos I have realized the as a non native English speaker it is hard to try and express yourself and trying to explain why and how to use a correction tool, the TH… and R… Grrrrrr. So I decided to focus in my first 10-20 videos (yes, I am optimistic) on quick review of how to get from the raw photo to the edited one with in less then 3 minutes video.
Nevertheless even in these short videos I will try to explain about the tools and not to describe whatever any way the viewer already see on the screen.
Hopefully I will improve my rusty English from video to video and then I would be able to implement your advises one by one
Thanks again

3 Likes

Thank you John-M for your comments.
I will surely use the Compare button in my next videos. Already tested it works great, thanks.
For the Graduated Filter you are right you noticed I was confused about this point during editing. Although, I really do no understand why DXO is limiting us by not giving the option to protect an area with ANY local adjustment tool… Since the software dose not have the feature of Invert mask, I once tried to implement it by using Graduated Filter all the way down and than trying to use the ALT key with the Auto Brush to protect certain area, which could give me actually the invert Mask… But it didn’t work out.

Thanks for sharing Video editing demo with us, I’m checking other video editing demo uploaded by you. I have used this in my project called Tell The Bell.

Thanks once again.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your video - it’s useful to have different workflows and experience to be shared.

Guys, what do you think on changing the title on something like “A video demo on editing images in PhotoLab”?

Because unless you open the post it seems like video is possible to be edited in PL :wink:

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Title was corrected.
Thanks

2 Likes

Even for a native english speaker, (i am not) it’s hard to fill in the audio wile you are editing in a sensible and just the amount of info around your action. Sometimes replacing audioline afterwards, narrating?, is better so you can pinpoint the info you speak of on the subject and concentrate on your speech. Or use small text’s to add info afterwards like:
"Don’t forget clearview is using microcontrast to enhance and dehaze so be aware of adding extra microcontrast after that".

“If needed you can use Upoint Clearview/microcontrast localy to enhance parts of the image instead of global clearview or mircrocontrast,”

“see for explanation video 4 Clearview, (micro)contrast and Sharpening”

So you don’t have to side track too much every time and have more time to explain why you use something at that moment.

(Don’t think i am a experienced video editor or producer, i am just watch a lot of you tube tutorials of different posters because i am a bit dyslectic and seeing does more then words. :smile: , that’s why Pieloe’s manual is great with the active pictures the “before” and “after” . )

have fun making your video’s,

Peter

Thanks Peter
When I asked for feedback, I didn’t realize I will receive such a good feedbacks. From all of you.
Although, in the past I thought of recording the voice afterwards, I cancelled this idea because I thought it would be a problem to sync my voice with the actions on screen.
But when you gave me this idea, I thought to myself, why not recording it while I am speaking my native language (Hebrew) and later on I can record my voice in English.
I think you gave me a great idea.
Thanks a lot.
By the way, if it works, I could upload it in two versions English and Hebrew…

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this post about editing images in PhotoLab.