A question and an interesting observation

I have been using a new pixel editor (PhotoLine) and have been busy trying to learn to do what I need with photos. As part of this I decided to use PL5 to emulate PureRAW by creating a workspace with only the PureRAW settings and exporting to dng. The idea was to then edit those dng images in the pixel editor to see how good I can get the images.

So, first, the question.

PureRAW says it does, among other things, Demosaicing and I do not know what PL5 setting corresponds to that. What I did was create a workspace with only DeNosing, Distortion, Lens Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Vignetting. I also added Moire although I am not sure there is a good reason for doing that, and perhaps I should redo all of this without the Moire setting.

So what PL5 setting corresponds to Demosaicing?

The interesting observation.

I decided to test this by generating images using HQ, PRIME and DeepPRIME denoise settings, just out of curiosity as to whether I really needed DeepPRIME since almost all of my photos are taken in reasonably good light and I generally don’t even use the denoising functionality when I export images. The surprise was the timing for processing the images.

As part of this test I used the same 27 raw images, and I tried to standardize the processing by removing all the dop files after the previous processing, exiting PL5 and restarting it. In any case here are the processing times for each denoise setting:

HQ: 12 min, 48 secs → 28.4 seconds/image
PRIME: 14 min, 08 secs → 31.4 seconds/image
DeepPRIME: 7 min, 34 secs → 16.8 seconds/image

I had done the DeepPRIME processing yesterday as well, and the figure was higher (25 seconds/image) although other things may have been going on on the system at the time. In any case the DeepPRIME processing time was still lower than that for PRIME or HQ, which was a big surprise to me.

I will redo this without the Moire setting but I don’t expect that to make any real difference.

Demosaïcing is automatic when PureRAW or PL5 reads a RAW file. It is the process of rendering the RAW data visible as a bitmap image.

DeepPRIME is always useful, even if you are not editing high ISO images. It is surprising how much clearer shadows become when it is applied, even to a well exposed image. It is part of my default preset for any RAW image and, as you can see from your tests, there really isn’t any penalty for using it all the time.

I am surprised by your lengthy time for HQ, should be seconds. DeepPrime is faster than Prime because DP leverages your GPU and P does not.

Ah. I didn’t know that.

I seem to remember that DeepPRIME used to take a very, very long time to process, and I assumed that the developers looked for ways to shorten that time by optimizing the DP processing and did not bother to do so with HQ and P.

Good to know, so thank you.

1 Like

Interesting times…compared to what I get with HQ vs. DeepPrime on my iMac:

• 1’ 50’’ for 60 conversions to DNG @ No Correction + HQ → 1.9 seconds/image
  • 5’ 30’’ for 60 conversions to DNG @ No Correction + DP → 5.5 seconds/image

I now ran the same test images with optical corrections active at default values:

• 2’ 33’’ → 2.6 seconds/image (HQ)
  • 5’ 41’’ → 5.7 seconds/image (DP)

Test images: 1.3 GB total for 60 files from EOS 5D and 5D3 cameras.

The very high figures for @MikeFromMesa’s HQ conversions seem strange…

In loading the HQ, PRIME and DeepPRIME images into the pixel editor I saw that it is not just the shadows that are helped. It also makes a big difference in dark colors, even in good light. And that was a surprise to me. As I mentioned earlier, I almost never used the denoising functionality before, but I guess I will start to do so now.

Here are some images taken in good light at a local outdoor museum in this general area.

The actual image:

100% crop of original raw:

100% crop of DeepPRIME:

I had not expect so much noise in an essentially outdoor image during daylight, so I learned something new today. Not a bad thing.

Do you have the EXIF for that image?

My figures are for only the adjustments that I think are used in PureRAW (Denoise, Distortion, Lens Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Vignetting. Plus, of course, the Moire setting which I will remove when I redo this. Also converting to dng.

Personally I found the conversion figures for both HQ and PRIME quite high and all of this tends to make me think it might not be a bad thing to trade my current MBP for a new M1 MBP, probably a 14" as I don’t need the larger screen size since it is used in clamshell mode anyway, and I don’t know that the extra GPU cores would make that much difference.

Trading in my current MBP would help with the cost, and I don’t see any reason to have 2 MBPs when I already have an older MBA that I use when we travel.

Sure. What are you asking about?

Camera, lens, focal length, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, colour temperature, etc

Camera:
Make : OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Model : E-M5MarkIII

Lens:
LensInfo : 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6
LensModel : LUMIX G VARIO 12-32/F3.5-5.6

Focal Length:
FocalLength : 12.0 mm

ISO:
ISO : 2000

Shutter Speed:
ShutterSpeed : 1/60

Aperture:
MaxApertureValue : 3.5

Other:
WhiteBalanceTemperature : Auto

The color temperature was not in the exif information.

ISO was a bit high, but necessary for the shutter speed and the aperture. Anything else?