A Less Nervous Preview

In customize view, the image moves around and resizes when certain tools are activated. This makes editing more tiresome and less laggy.

Please scale down the preview image so that it does not have to be recalculated with every tool activation/deactivation. Check Lightroom for reference.

+1
Same remark for me.

+1

Yes, all things that improves performance is good for me.

In a similar vein;

I’m experiencing (on my Win10 environment, at least) quite a noticeable delay when the Local Adjustments button is clicked … which, I guess, is not unexpected as I can appreciate the various technical issues involved in switching the UI to this mode.

However, sometimes I can see the Local Adjustments screen being rendered at 100% - and then re-rendered at the Fit-to-screen size (to match my current setting). Surely, this is unnecessary ?

Hi Platypus - - Can you please elaborate on what you mean by “scale down”.

I assume you’re not suggesting it should be at any less resolution, or contain any less detail, than it currently does (?) … as this would make it more difficult to evaluate the effect/impact of the tool being applied.

John

Scale down: Reduce the size of the preview in such a way as to allow space for tool settings without the need to recalculate or reposition the preview.

Example: Lr (not again !) leaves a border around the preview. This isolates the preview from all the busy items around it and Lr has a reserved space below the preview for tool settings too. DPL, on the other hand, fills the preview from top to bottom and has to recalculate the preview if certain tools (crop et al.) are activated.

From an ergonomic (and processing effort) point if view, Adobe made the better choice. Also, the border around the preview helps to focus on the image and to see composition, colour, contrast, balance etc., things that are closer to art than to technology.

For pixelpeeping, we can engage zoom levels of 100% or whatever is needed in both apps.

2 Likes

I have to say that I have never seen this problem. What OS are you working on? Is this a Windows thing? Because I have never seen this on my Mac, and that is true for all of the previous Optics Pro versions I have had.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly to what this issue is referring. I am running PhotoLab Elite on Windows 10. Perhaps I’m just not as sensitive to this anomaly.

Mark

I don’t notice that at all on my Windows 10 machine. How can I recreate this issue?

Yes, this definitely is “a thing” (including on Win10 version) - - and it can be quite distracting, as @platypus points out.

To replicate, simply toggle any of the tools On/Off … eg. WB Colour Picker, Horizon, Repair, etc … and the screen will “jump” as it resizes to show/hide the tool’s options below the image.

John

The “jump” is minimal on my 27" iMac (High Sierra) - what ever tool I select - not a distraction.

Please do not “scale down the preview”, it can’t be large enough. I do not want to lose area for the preview image.

An alternative could be to put the tool status information (Radius/Size etc) in the side bar instead of below the image.

…this is what it boils down to indeed…

This is a global decission, which approach is the best:

1. Put current context settings into the image canvas as overlay.
  2. Put current context settings into side panels.
  3. Put a single toolbar tray below/above the image where the context specific settings are shown.

If you ask three people, you will get three different answers. I would like to have a context sensitive toolbar, where the content is exchanged. Like in Lightroom. I do not like overlays, because they are often in the way and do not allow to work precisely because there are often no edit fields to enter values directly.

Right. All I want is that the image stays put. I’d prefer not to have an overlay though.

See screenshots: When crop (as an example) is activated, image size is reduced and the image moves up a bit. To make it more obvious, I’ve set the background to white. You should be able to see the difference unless the Windows version works differently from the one for macOS…

And Lr to compare: The image does not have to be redrawn…

So the place must be reserved for the toolbar. But if is is reserved, the toolbar could always be displayed and used for everything concerning contextual properties. Even for local adjustment things like brush size. Currently this is even implemented differently comparing Mac vs Windows.

On the other hand the space is very limited inside such a toolbar, so kicking the toolbar and using panels only would be the most scaleable and consistent approach.

So a good topic for an UI architecture review at DxO.

In Lightroom the toolbar at the bottom stays where it is, only the toolbar content is replaced. This leaves the image canvas size as it is, which is a good thing. So there are two possibilities:

1. Show the toolbar always
  2. Show the toolbar never

I have only seen 2 tools that automatically move the image on my Mac. The first is the Level Tool and, of course, that is because the image is being leveled. The second is the Crop Tool because of the added information under the crop image.

Personally this does not bother me as I often use the Crop Tool to level the image as I wish it to be and that moves the image as well, but I can see what the complaint is. Perhaps the Crop Tool information could be moved to the panel.

I see no other image changes when I activate or de-activate other panels but have not tried it on a Windows machine.

I see what you are talking about now, but honestly on my 28" monitor it does not bother me at all. Certainly if they could figure out how to put those tools elsewhere so the image would not have to resize that would be a plus as long as it wouldn’t reduce the overall display area to do so. But if it doesn’t happen its not a distraction for me.

Mark

crop (or rotate) is not a good example since it must change the size in most cases.

We should limit the discussion to color picker, repair, red eye.